Learning Chinese for Kids Blog
10% Off - Join our E-Mail List!
Subscribe so you get a weekly, fun to read Learning Chinese E-Mail newsletter including sales, tips, events, and new product announcements. Unsubscribe at any time safely! A 10% off one time coupon ($25 minimum purchase) will be sent to you with your E-Mail subscription.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tips Suburban ChinaTown ID Theft

Some Tips

Alarms do help.  After this I noticed a lot of homes in our area have alarms.  About 30%.  Everyone seems to know somebody who was robbed in our area.

If your house is robbed, things to do:

1. Get a police report.

2. Report your ID stolen to the IRS.  Our Bank Manager had her ID stolen and 5 years later was called in for an IRS Audit for unreported income.  Income from working in the Garment Industry.  And the Bank Manager does not even know how to sew!  http://www.irs.gov/privacy/article/0,,id=186436,00.html

3. Report your passport stolen.  There is an 800 # and a form.  1-877-487-2778 and Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen  The person who's passport was stolen must be the one who reports it.  And if they are a minor, they can't do it over the phone.  The form must be filled out now matter what.

4. Put a free 90 day credit alert with any of the credit bureaus.  They will contact the others.  https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

5. For your credit card, add a second password on it.  You can get a new card with a new #, but it takes a business day.

6. Fill out an Internet Crime Complaint Center Alert - http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx  (partnership wtih FBI and Justice Dept).

7. Do an FTC Complaint - https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en#last  With this plus your police report you can get a 5 year credit freeze for free.  Basically extends the 90 day credit alert for free.

8. If you lost your passport and such, apply for a new one.  Visit your congressman's office to get it expedited and may be a fee waiver. Same for your naturalization form.  If not, you need to pay $110 for a passport.  A replacement naturalization certificate seems to be $345.

9. Social Security - if you lost your card visit a social security office with proof of your US citizenship.  And yes, if you lost your naturalization certificate you need to wait and get a new one issued ($345 Fee - but may be your congress person's office can help).

10. DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles - we are still figuring this out.

11. If they got any bank account information (like a check).  Close your old account and open a new one.  You can supply your bank with a list of checks to allow to clear for your old account.  Yes, its a pain.

12. Insurance Company.  Find out what is covered!

13. Cash - Not a good idea to keep at home.

14. Gold - Keep it in the safe deposit box.

15. Make a copy of all your credit cards.  Scan them and put them off site.  Just in case something happens.  May be in your safety deposit box.  Same with your passports and other photo ID.  Old passports still count as ID, even if they have been notched.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home

Company Info
Account Info
Customer Service
News & Info