Waldorf Hotel may be Sold to Chinese Investors
Russian and China
This is major...
Sidelined Russia Makes Deals with China
- The American Interest
China cashes in on Russia's shrinking economic options
- Christian Monitor
- The US is using control of the financial industry to apply sanctions to Russia.
- Russia and China do not like the US having financial controls that can hurt their economy.
- Oil is mostly priced in dollars, making the US the default reserve currency of the world.
- Russian is now doing export deals not using US dollars.
- Having the US dollar as the world reserve currency, allows the US government to borrow more than it can.
- Sanctions are seen by the US government as a low cost way to show they are doing something.
Labels: China & Russian
Rowland Heights Pandhandlers
I have noticed in the Rowland Heights area, there are a lot of pan handlers located off of the 60 freeway exits.
At Fairway and the 60, there is an Asian Man. Originally he was located at the Westbound Exit. People would ignore him, pretend he does not exist, and then he would wave his hand in front of their face. Or he would touch their car. I have also seen him deliberately push the button to walk, forcing the light to stop traffic. He has a limp, and smokes. He is very aggressive in his approach. He has now moved to the center of Fairway, where you make a left turn to get onto the Westbound 60.
At Nogales, there is a man with one leg, who stands in the middle of the divider of Nogales. Since Nogales is closed to traffic at Gale, I am not sure if he's still there. I have also seen a Hispanic man, selling Oranges right next to him.
At Azusa, I have seen an older man with his wife, asking for money. At the same exit, I have also seen a man around 20, with a sign saying he is hungry, asking for money. The first time I saw the sign I donated. I have also seen some others around 20 years old on Azusa, between the 60 Freeway and Colima asking for money.
I was reminded about panhandlers in Rowland Heights, after reading this article about a video:
You drive a better car than me! 'Homeless' elderly panhandler caught driving off in a brand new car
- Daily Mail
Labels: chinatowns, rowland heights
HK Protesters infected by Android Spyware
Chinatown Bus Update
Chinatown Bus Pioneer Fung Wah Strangled by Federal Bureaucracy
- Reason Magazine
The company has burned through $3 million, as regulators spend a year and a half deliberating its fate.
And some history on what happened:
Why the Government Was Wrong to Shutdown Fung Wah Bus Company
- Reason Magazine
- High profile traffic accidents made for great copy by journalists, and created a perceived emergency where the government had to act.
- It's easier in the government, and less risk, to do nothing, than make a decision. Think what would happen if an agency approved Fung Wah operating again, and there was a big accident.
- The large competitors, Grey Hound, etc. are politically connected and are helping regulators to reduce competition.
- The ethnic Chinese owned companies due not understand how the political game is played. Campaign contributions, when done legally and to the right people, seem to help the process in government.
Labels: bus, chinatown
Don't Let Your Kids Play Outside
iPhone Aftermarket China Pricing